Commissioning is a holistic approach to setting newly installed or modified systems into operation. A valuable part of the commissioning process is Test Adjust & Balance (TAB) of a HVAC systems air and water flow rates, and this is all too often referred to, and seen as ‘Commissioning’ by itself. But the process required to fully and adequately commission a building is much more than just TAB.
Commissioning is a whole building / system approach to setting newly installed or modified systems into operation. A valuable part of the commissioning process is Test Adjust & Balance (TAB) of a HVAC systems air and water flow rates, and this is all too often referred to, and seen as ‘Commissioning’ by itself which is simply not the case.
It is our belief that the Commissioning process needs to be tailored to the requirements of each project, starting in the design phase, and ending post occupancy. Each stage of Commissioning requires many differing individual processes to be performed along the way.
At Encom we guide our client’s through the entire Commissioning progress, bringing to the project our combined years of experience, which encompasses as a whole, our technical competence and robust commissioning practices founded on guidance from CIBSE, NEBB, BSRIA and ASHRAE.
Commissioning components offered:
- Independent Commissioning Agents (ICA)
- Owners Project Requirement (OPR) development and implementation
- Soft Landings
- Design reviews (equipment selections, Functional Descriptions, services co-ordination)
- Commissioning Plans & Management
- Main plant off site & factory pre-delivery inspections
- Building fabric testing. Air leakage and thermal imaging
- Hydraulic system flushing and treatment
- Duct leakage testing and hydrostatic testing of water systems
- Full complement of TAB (Test Adjust and Balance) services
- Functional Performance Testing and system validation
- Sensor (gas, temperature, pressure etc.) response checking and calibration
- Integrated fire testing
- Seasonal performance testing
- Operational & Maintenance (O&M) Manuals
Commissioning processes offered:
- Technical Commissioning – Total end to end in-depth commissioning process for the best possible outcome and ongoing performance. This does not rely on simply reviewing contractor issued commissioning reports.
- Re-commissioning – Commissioning systems that were initially commissioned which now need the process repeated to return the systems to an acceptable level of performance.
- Retro-commissioning – Commissioning systems which are in service that were not initially or fully commissioned when installed.
- Continuous Commissioning – On going monitoring and optimisation of systems to minimise energy use whilst maintaining the required system performance. During this process we would allow for variables such as changes in space utilisation and process parameters.
Note that we are currently the only dedicated Commissioning practice that is an EECA commissioning program partner.